Glen Alpin was acquired for $1,400,000 as an open space property by Harding Township and the Harding Land Trust in October 2004 from Liang-Bin Jean and Su-Hsiang Jean. Harding Township owns 85.71% with the Harding Land Trust owning the remaining 14.29%. Funds for the initial purchase came from a variety of sources. Harding’s Open Space Trust (HOST) contributed $175,000, and the Harding Land Trust contributed $200,000. The Morris County Open Space and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund contributed $500,000, and the Morris County Park Commission contributed $75,000. The New Jersey State Green Acres contributed $450,000. The Trust for Public Land, a national nonprofit land conservation organization, assembled a “creative partnership” of these agencies to handle the purchase.

“In Memory of Peter Kemble 1704-1789
President of the Royal Council of New Jersey
He lived, died and was buried within these grounds

Erected MCMXI (1911)
By the New Jersey Society Of the Colonial Dames of America”

The Property Today

Since the Township has owned Glen Alpin, historical rehabilitation begun in 2005 has ceased until the result of the township’s application for diversion from Green Acres is known. The property is over 9 acres and the house contains 22 rooms on three floors, plus a basement totaling 14,000 square feet. Only 9,000 square feet on the first and second floors would be useable and open to the public. The red tile roof has been replaced. In addition to the roof replacement, the project included chimney repairs, all new rain-water conductors, repair and painting of the original trim at roof level, an alarm system and lightning protection.

A gravestone marks the graves of Peter Kemble and six members of his family. Three feet from the edge of Mt. Kemble Avenue, directly in line with the front of the house, is a bronze plaque inscribed in his memory.